As a service we are interested in getting to know you as a person and we want to understand your values and behaviours and what’s important to you in terms of the way in which you work with others. Short Breaks service has an opportunity for compassionate and responsive Support Workers at its respite centre in Milton Keynes. Our service is rated “Outstanding” by CQC and we work hard to provide quality support to meet the needs of people who have a learning disability, autism and complex needs ensuring Positive Behaviour Support is central to the delivery of care.
Candidates must be confident supporting people’s personal care needs and have the ability to monitor, respond to and report changes in needs. You must also be able to recognise risk and respond to keeping people safe. Candidates must also be able to record information accurately using MKC IT systems and be able to give appropriate verbal handover and feedback.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience, Qualifications, and any Mandatory Requirements • Demonstrates an understanding of health and safety issues
- Knowledge of related legislation and guidance
- Level 1 literacy skills in line with councils of Plain English standards
- Level 1 numeracy skills • MKC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Adults with Learning Disabilities, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Our recruitment process aims to create and maintain a safe workforce and contains robust vetting procedures in regard to safer recruitment. The suitable applicant will be appointed subject to satisfactory references, an enhanced DBS, proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK.
- Ability to work a combination of shifts including evenings and weekends.
- Delivering high-quality person-centred care and support; this will include ensuring identified needs are met in line with individual support plans, training and MKC policies.
- Positive relationship building skills
- Understanding the purpose and need for confidentiality.
- Flexibility in working practice – time management and approach to service users.
- Follow instruction from Team Leaders to respond to changes in need including crisis support. • Valuing others –respecting others’ opinions and ideas. Anti-discriminatory attitude and practice towards all members of society. Departmental Benefits of this role
- We offer training and coaching in addition to a wealth of in-team experience to help you gain the specific skills you’ll need.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.