We are looking for experienced Social Workers to join our progressive and strengths based Mental Health Social Care Team. We have a number of posts currently available and will consider part-time roles from 15 hours to full-time. As a social worker within the team, you will provide specialist advice and assessment to service users with mental health difficulties.
We are a highly experienced, dynamic and critical team of Social Work Managers, Social Workers, Social Work Assistants and Support Workers delivering Adult Care Services under the Care Act 2014 and Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983/2007 to Service users with Mental Health difficulties. You will have opportunity to contribute and further develop your skills in our specialist Mental Health areas as well as engaging in Court of Protection work and managing safeguarding cases for the team.
In return, we are offering a Golden Hello up to £3,000 as well as opportunities to develop. We would also like to hear from newly qualified social workers or those from other social work areas looking to build skills and knowledge within this interesting area of practice. We offer the ASYE Programme for newly qualified social workers. An additional payment of £2700 is paid to the Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHP) on pro rata basis.
We will review applications as they come in and offer interviews accordingly. We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we have received an adequate response. Please do contact Luke Jones (07434623051) or Caren Taylor (07836 323 801) Team managers should you wish to have a further discussion.
Please see full attached Team summary and highlights of the roles.
- To operate within a sound understanding and application of current legal frameworks such as the Care Act, Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act.
- To ensure that social care practice within Mental Health is well embedded and meets all statutory and practice requirements.
- To provide the professional lead in cases and support unqualified workers in their practice.
- Keep up-to-date with developments in service delivery, best practice, and case law to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
- Assess the needs of adults. Providing clear evidence which fairly and accurately determines the level of need and outcomes identified in partnership with the person.
- Ensure that any interventions or services support the service user in way that enhances their independence, choice and wellbeing.
- Monitor and review support plans, and services to ensure that eligible needs are met in a way that the person has determined.
- Balance the varying demands of a caseload, maintain accurate individual case records and ensure that all required reports are completed to agreed timescales.
- Participate in supervisory meetings with team manager and/or a senior member of staff on a regular basis ensuring that the line manager is adequately informed about cases and practice.
The Ideal Candidate
- A good knowledge of current legal frameworks such as the Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Having a post qualification experience of being a Best Interest Assessor or an Approved Mental Health professional or Practice Teachers award would be desirable.
- Candidates must have access to a vehicle and valid driving licence.
- Qualified Social Worker with Social Work England.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.