Do you have a passion for Business Support, with an eye for detail and an ability to coordinate and lead in a fast-paced and dynamic environment?
In Adult Services we support people with their social care needs, providing services such as Occupational Therapy and Social Work Assessments, as well as providing housing information and support for people facing homelessness or applying for social housing.
Our services are wide reaching, and we are focused at putting the people who use them at the heart of what we do.
We are looking for a site based, full-time Business Support Officer within Adult Services. The role will require experience in financial processing and minute taking, along with line management skills. The ideal candidate will be able to deliver effective and professional Business Support to the operational services whilst providing the highest customer service at all times. We are looking for a new team member who has excellent interpersonal, organisational, and planning skills, with a positive "can do" attitude to help lead a busy team forward.
We offer a huge number of training and development opportunities, including a range of apprenticeships up to master’s level, so if you are looking to build a career with Milton Keynes City Council this may be the ideal place for you to start.
- To act as an initial point of contact for Assessment Services, providing highly effective and efficient business support across Adult Assessment Services (Commissioning, Learning Disability, Mental Health, Older Peoples, Physical Disability, Housing Solutions and Safeguarding).
- To organise the sourcing and collation of highly sensitive, complex confidential information for senior management, compiling data and information, drafting correspondence, reports, presentations, and project documentation.
- Support Group Heads and Heads of Service by delivering required level of support including acting as first point of contact, managing email, planning, and managing diaries and action tracking and preparation for meetings.
- Line management of Business Support Assistants, supporting development and building of skills, ensuring quality of work is to a high standard. Proactively managing HR issues such as recruitment, ill health / capability management, attendance, performance management.
- To organise and prepare for complex safeguarding meetings, legal meetings and HR meetings as required by the service. This will include accurately and concisely taking high level and complex minutes and action tracking.
- To oversee processing of financial transactions in accordance with the Council’s finance procedures including the use of the Council’s electronic finance system. Undertaking on-going review to maximise opportunities for service improvement.
The Ideal Candidate
- Level 4 Business Administration qualification or equivalent relevant experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of business support, including proven success in working within complex, fast paced environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication with expertise in taking complex minutes, report writing and data analysis and presentation.
- Excellent IT skills, with demonstrable high level of competence in data analysis and presentation, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and ability to quickly and confidently learn and utilise a variety of different IT systems.
- Ability to independently identify and implement solutions, including the ability to conduct complex and extensive research and assemble information in an accessible way to a variety of audiences.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.