We’re looking for enthusiastic people who would like to work with children and young people in a creative, fun and child centred way to join our friendly team on site in Westminster House, West Bletchley. This is a residential home for children and young people with learning disabilities.
We have two roles available, one full time and the other 20 hours per week. On your application, please indicate which post you wish to be considered for – this can be both posts.
You’ll be part of a team who care for and work with children and young people who have specific individual needs in relation to verbal and non-verbal communication, management of challenging behaviour, continence, personal and intimate care and medical needs.
You will support and encourage individuals to develop independence and life experiences. You’ll work as an interchangeable member of a close-knit team ensuring continuity and consistency of care for the children and young people and their families. You may be required to take part in multi-agency meetings.
A valid manual UK license is essential as you will need to drive the home’s minibus. Due to the nature of this role, an enhanced DBS check for both children and adults is required.
- To provide a 24/7 service of care, advice, guidance and support to resident children and young people and support to their families.
- Implement the individual care plans for the children, undertake direct work both on and offsite with the children.
- Develop and undertake activities that promote positive self-esteem and life skills through educational, social and leisure activities.
- Clear written and verbal and non-verbal communication using any individual methods of communication relevant to individual children, including signs, symbols and the picture exchange communication system.
- Maintain accurate, concise and timely written records to ensure relevant information is available for children, families, colleagues and other professionals in accordance with relevant regulations and agreed standards.
- Some workers will undertake link working duties and responsibilities.
The Ideal Candidate
- Able to bring a sense of humour and fun.
- Experience of working with Children with Disabilities.
- Good understanding of Child Protection and Safeguarding.
- Ability to work as an individual and within a nurturing team.
- Able to undertake handwritten communication to the level required for log entries and report writing.
- Physically able to undertake moving and handling to meet the needs of physically impaired children.
- Able to undertake physical intervention skills in order to safely manage challenging behaviour.
- The candidate will hold a valid UK driving license.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.