We have an ambition to become one of the Greenest Cities. Trees are an integral and an important part of our design and identity as the ‘city of trees’.
As a Principal Arboriculture Officer, you’ll join our high functioning and multidiscipline Environment Team. This is an exciting time to join as we are about to introduce a new environmental services contract.
You’ll be responsible for leading a team in our biggest transformation project in 20 years, helping to create a more resilient environment which can adapt to future climate change. You will work with our contractors, councillors, residents and a range of organisations.
If you’d like to help make Milton Keynes a greener city, then this could be the role for you.
An excellent training and induction package will be provided.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Arboriculture service and team.
- Manage an integrated tree inspection.
- Analysing the tree condition assessment results, carrying out of risk assessments where necessary and implementing the derived programme of works.
- Providing advice and guidance on issues relating to trees, insurance claims and planning applications.
- Managing and delivering an extensive caseload comprising conservation area notifications, Tree Preservation Orders applications and reviews, High Hedge complaints and hedgerow removal notices.
- Assist with management of capital and revenue budgets and submission of grants.
- Manage and monitor performance of council contractors.
The Ideal Candidate
- Level 4 Qualification in Arboriculture or equivalent experience.
- Hold a Level 3 Professional Tree Inspection Qualification or equivalent.
- Deliver customer services in a fast paced and high-volume working environment.
- Ability to build effective relationships and achieve co-operation from others.
- Able to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key projects or activities within defined timescales.
- Experience of performance management including resource allocation and capacity, quality assurance systems.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.