Milton Keynes Children’s Social Care is excited to offer a permanent part-time Panel Advisor post for our Fostering and Permanence Panel. The position of Fostering Panel Advisor is pivotal to making sure that approval and reviews of foster carers are completed promptly and in full compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements.
The Panel Advisor plays a key role in quality assurance and improving practice to ensure vulnerable children and young people are safeguarded. In Milton Keynes, we want to ensure children and young people grow up safely, achieve good outcomes and are happy and healthy.
This is not a salaried position, Panel is held every three weeks and is paid at a rate of £500 per full day panel and £250 per half day panel which includes preparation and QA time. There will be further payments made for completion of reports and appraisals.
- Quality assure papers prepared for panel to make sure they meet the necessary standards and that all relevant papers are available. Whilst safeguarding the confidentiality of all Panel papers and Panel discussions.
- Act as professional advisor regarding panel procedures and practices, the impact of any recommendations made by the panel and all relevant current and proposed Government legislation and guidelines. Liaising with the Agency Decision Maker and with other directors as required.
- Assist the Service and Panel Chair in the appointment and appraisal of panel members, ensuring the panel is diverse with a wide range of experiences. Also to support MKC in planning training for Panel Members and participate in this at least once a year.
- Monitor and report on Fostering Panel’s performance and work with the Panel Administrator to ensure Panel runs smoothly.
- Facilitate any disruption or other professional meetings.
- To ensure, along with Panel Chair, that directors are aware of issues of concern, in relation both to individual cases and to more general matters and to assist in developing, promoting and monitoring policies and procedures and high standards of work in fostering services in the agency.
The Ideal Candidate
- Be an qualified and experienced social worker with significant practical experience of UK statutory social work practice.
- Have demonstrable communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have significant experience in the supervisory/management role including complex fostering work.
- Be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of the legal framework that underpins the work of fostering and the fostering and permanence panel.
- Have good analytical and Q/A skills.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.