A unique opportunity has arisen to join our friendly and enthusiastic team who provide impartial careers advice and guidance to young people across Milton Keynes. Our work focuses on those who are not in education, employment, or training and need help and support to move forward and progress. Our aim is to help them identify and overcome barriers, make decisions about their future and reach their full potential. With support, we help them transition into education, training, jobs, traineeships, and apprenticeships. We are passionate about the work we do and are looking forward to welcoming a new professional into the team.
- Meeting and working with young people across Milton Keynes in various settings and virtually, delivering impartial Careers Information Advice and Guidance.
- Supporting young people with applications, CVs, interview techniques and developing employability skills.
- Working with internal and external partners and providers daily to achieve the best results for young people’s progression.
- Tracking young people’s status to reduce the number of those not in education, employment or training.
- Accurately recording interventions and referrals to ensure all statutory returns are completed to a high level.
- Removing or reducing barriers to support young people to engage or re-engage into employment, education or training.
- Working closely with schools and colleges, training providers and internal teams to identify young people at risk of not progressing into employment education or training.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who can meet and demonstrate the councils core workplace values of being dedicated, respectful and collaborative. The ideal candidate will be:
- Professionally qualified to a minimum of level 4 in CIAG.
- Experienced in working effectively with young people who have multiple barriers which prevent them from progressing.
- A skilled communicator able to adapt interview skills to meet the needs of the young person.
- A skilled written communicator able to produce effective action plans for young people.
- Able to develop strong networks and collaborate effectively with a range of professionals and organisations.
- A flexible worker able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to demonstrate a good working knowledge of the local labour market and the opportunities available for young people.
- Be able to record information accurately with good ICT and administration skills
- Able to satisfy an enhanced DBS check (adults and children).
- The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for this post.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.