Would you like to be part of a high-quality, friendly, drug and alcohol service? We have a vacancy for a part time 18.5 hours position.
We work with young people up to the age of 18 (up to 25 with additional needs) who are affected by their own or someone else`s substance use. We also provide various drug and alcohol information sessions for professionals, parents and young people.
The team are passionate about the service we offer, and are always looking for innovative and creative ways to develop and deliver interventions. Our aim is to support young people in making more informed choices, and enable them to develop skills and strategies so that they can flourish and lead healthy, happy and safe lives.
Managed under the umbrella of Youth Offending Service (YOS) this is an exciting opportunity to work collaboratively with the Youth Offending team (YOT), Stay Safe and Missing and Exploitation teams. Working as part of YOS enables staff to effectively provide the best support options for young people who may present with varied complex needs.
Enhanced DBS, driving licence and access to vehicle are required for this role.
- Completing assessments, risk assessments, devising careplans, and reviewing and updating these as required for all young people accessing support.
- Managing a case load of young people who are affected by their own or someone else's substance use, often with varying needs.
- Ensuring all work and interactions are recorded accurately and in a timely manner.
- Carrying out one to one work with young people in a variety of settings including, schools, children`s centres and family homes.
- Attending multiagency meetings and supporting colleagues by providing advice and information regarding substances and substance use when required.
- Delivering drug and alcohol training sessions to professionals and young people.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of working with young people for a minimum of 1 year.
- Experience of working with those affected by substance use for a minimum of 1 year.
- Good understanding of safeguarding.
- Ability to build positive relationships with young people and other professionals.
- Good verbal and written communication, including IT skills.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.