Sustainability, Environmental Management and Monitoring is a growth area within the council. We are looking for a Senior Sustainability Officer to help us achieve becoming a zero-carbon city. Working within our Sustainability team, you will have a track record of interest in the environment; work with colleagues from across the Council and use your initiative to look for opportunities to further the Council's published Sustainability Policy and Strategy.
The Sustainability team has contact with all areas of the council’s activities, from design led projects, sustainability policy monitoring, energy contract management to issuing formal Energy Performance Certificates for council properties. Training and personal development opportunities will be supported.
- The role requires the ability to work on your own initiative and motivation without full supervision.
- Provide professional support to other departments within the Council to support sustainability and energy saving initiatives.
- Managing budgets and identify opportunities for additional funding through to the application stage.
- Championing sustainability across Milton Keynes and develop supporting carbon emissions reduction projects in support of this.
- Understand and manage the council’s utility supply contracts using existing monitoring and targeting software.
- Production of Display Energy Certificates for public buildings,
- Be able to travel within Milton Keynes and further afield to attend seminars and meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
- Will have a wide area of experience and understanding of a variety of topics encompassed by sustainability.
- Good communication skills and an ability to use IT in general is essential for the post holder.
- Will understand the role and responsibilities of a Local Authority in the local community.
- Be able to write clear written reports tailored for a variety of audiences, of both internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of any energy and emissions monitoring systems would be an advantage, but training on our software is available.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a related subject.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.