The Fostering Service at Milton Keynes Council is a large friendly dynamic team, it is managed by one Operational Manager and supported by two Deputy Team Managers who focus on the day to day running of the service. There are two strands to the team including Support & Supervision and Recruitment & Assessment.
Together we are responsible for the recruitment, assessment, support and supervision of mainstream and kinship carers. We assess, review and monitor private fostering arrangements. We offer support, advice and assistance to our Special Guardian’s post Order. We are a busy team, managing a duty service, family finding for new or existing children in care, responding to queries and enquiries from our carers balancing support alongside ensuring we are compliant with Fostering Regulations and National Minimum Standards.
This is fixed term for 1 year to cover maternity leave and will be part time 22.2 hours a week
This role is in relation to the Support and Supervision side of the Fostering Team
Main responsibilities include;
Providing Support and Supervision to approved Foster Carers
Supporting with Training and Development of Foster Carers
Facilitating and attending Foster Carer Support Groups
Supporting the effective running of the duty service which includes matching and making placements
Providing Post Order support to Special Guardians
Completing Foster Carer Annual Review
Keeping accurate records
Presenting at Fostering Panel
Ensuring Foster Carer Compliance
Form F’s updates and other key assessments
Using reflection, other techniques and development tools to continually improve professional practice.
Participate in staff meetings and contribute to the development of the team and the wider service.
The Ideal Candidate
Social Work Qualification and registration with Social Work England
Enhanced DBS, driving license and a car user
Knowledge of main issues in relation to own client group and awareness of the legislative framework within which the role operates.
Proven ability to relate professionally with Children and Families
Ability to analyse, summarise and write/record relevant information to a high level
Able to communicate well with Foster Carers and children in addition to other colleagues, able to communicate effectively in writing
Ability to use IT systems effectively to record
Able to manage own work load effectively and willing to support other staff when need arises.
Ability to work as part of a team including working co-operatively with other professionals and agencies to meet the needs of the Foster Carers and children they care for.
Able to be child and family centred and treat all with respect and empathy
Ability to question, challenge, solve problems and complete tasks
Able to make considered decisions, analyse and evaluate information
Flexible and willing to adapt to change
Ability to maintain up to date records
Ability to share any perceived difficulties with Supervisor openly
Takes responsibility for quality and completion of own work within standards
Able to manage own time effectively
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.