Be part of our new City’s successful and established Trading Standards team and make a real difference from your first day.
Milton Keynes City Council is currently seeking passionate and confident Trading Standards Officers to be part of our collaborative and close-knit Trading Standards team.
Milton Keynes Trading Standards carry out the full range of regulatory functions through both enforcement and Primary Authority partnerships.
You will have significant post-qualification experience of managing a varied caseload across a broad range of trading standards legislation. This will include complex investigations and proactive enforcement projects, along with the provision of business advice. Proven experience across fair trading, food and safety desirable.
Being part of a small and committed team you will also be highly motivated, possess both excellent written and interpersonal skills, have a professional manner, be confident in carrying out inspections; responding to potentially challenging incidents and complaints; providing complex business advice and carrying out enforcement activity. In return, you will be empowered to succeed in this role, be able to work autonomously and be fully supported by management and colleagues.
You will be well versed with the criminal legal system and enforcement exposure is advantageous.
This is a hybrid role that can be performed either on site or at home. Homeworkers will be required to attend the office at least one day a week working at our main office in central Milton Keynes, Civic.
For further information and informal enquiries: Please contact Steve Rycraft 01908 252804.
We have a vacancy for one role at 37hrs p/w, and one role at 18hrs p/w, (55 hours) and there can be flexibility with hours and posts, so we would encourage applicants to include in their application form what they are looking for in terms of working hours (if not the above).
- To carry out duties as allocated to the team.
- To maintain a comprehensive level of understanding of legislative, social and technical changes across the full range of issues affecting the operation of the team.
- To undertake projects and research in connection with regulatory issues.
- To ensure that resources allocated to them are effectively and efficiently used to meet the agreed aims and objectives.
- To deal with investigations, complaints, and enquiries that are better served by his/her knowledge and experience.
The Ideal Candidate
- Diploma in Trading Standards, Diploma in Consumer Affairs or the Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards. The successful applicant will have qualifications and proven experience in fair trading, food and safety.
- Able to demonstrate empathy to victims of crime and deal sensitively with concerns from complainants.
- Able to produce reports and other written and verbal communications successfully.
- Ability to compile reports and investigate outcomes.
- Shows flexible approach to workloads amid changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to build effective relationships and achieve co-operation from others.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.