The Council is the largest Social Housing landlord in Milton Keynes. We have over 12,000 properties spread across a tight geographical area, due to the areas unique history and geography, we have a wide range of different types of homes, communities, neighbourhoods and estates ranging from the brutalist architecture of the 1960’s through to terraces built in the age of the Victorians.
Our property portfolio is just as diverse as our tenant population, and we manage properties which house tenants from all walks of life, with different backgrounds, needs, opinions and service requirements.
The Neighbourhood Officers role is to be out in our communities, seeing residents in their homes and supporting the defined estates they will manage. They deal with breaches of tenancy, customer requests including complaints, supporting our asset management and repairs teams, and enabling tenants to succeed in their homes. Our Officers are flexible, adaptive, motivated, and always act with professionalism to maximise positive outcomes for our residents.
We are looking to recruit a fixed term position to cover a 12-month maternity leave.
- To work as part of a front-line team, providing housing advice and assistance to the community, while carrying out tenancy and estate management.
- Interacting face to face contact with customers in their homes and communities.
- Use of problem-solving skills to manage cases independently and lead on specialist areas of work
- Carry out investigations, inspections, and enforcement activities in response to complaints and enquiries
- Carry out virtual and physical tenancy audits of all properties, while dealing with tenancy issues and ensuring prompt tenancy changes where needed
- Working in partnership with residents, taking appropriate action to deal with estate, block, and property matters such as disrepair, litter, dumped rubbish, poorly maintained landscaping, graffiti, and abandoned vehicles
- Supporting resident involvement, community development crime reduction initiatives and working collaboratively across all housing departments
The Ideal Candidate
- Enthusiastic about working with residents and possess excellent people skills
- Able to empathise with tenants, support them, and have a passion for working with people for their benefit
- Able to deal with customers complaints, often in difficult and challenging circumstances, promptly and with clear and simple communication
- Be honest and open, and be effective at sometimes delivering bad news, or enforcing tenancy conditions if needed
- To be able to work independently to achieve objectives and work flexibly within a large team
- Having an eye for detail to ensure the accurate reporting of all required data
- A person who will take responsibility to ensure the appropriate action is taken and acknowledges the role’s wider duty of care for our residents
- Hold a driver’s licence with the ability to access their own vehicle
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.