We are looking for an Independent Chair to join the Safeguarding Service. The Safeguarding Team sits within Children Social Care and incorporates specialist statutory child protection and child care reviewing services.
The Independent Chair role is a combination of Child Protection Coordinator and Independent Reviewing Officer.
Role holders are routinely required to cover LADO responsibilities, plus other specialist statutory roles within the Safeguarding Team, according to need.
You’ll also represent and carry out delegated tasks on behalf of the Head of Safeguarding, such as Quality Assurance, data and performance, service development and delivery, representation on groups and forums and supervision and support of other staff.
As you’ll be working in a highly scrutinised and regulated area, you’ll need to work effectively with a range of partners at all levels to inform, influence and challenge policy and practice and to contribute to integrated planning and delivery of optimal outcomes for all children in Milton Keynes.
The post holder will undertake a key Quality Assurance function for the city council, leading the development of strategic, resource, policy and practice improvements and highlighting areas of concern.
Interviews will be held w/c 19 June.
- The Local Authority is compliant with the responsibilities and functions laid out in relevant legislation and national and local policy and guidance relating to child protection including management of allegations. The IC acts on behalf of the city council to manage child protection and looked after children processes, to ensure that all children in Milton Keynes are safeguarded.
- The IC establishes and implements child protection and looked after children policy and practice in compliance with legislation, guidance and internal policies and procedures and leads on specialist aspects of the safeguarding process on behalf of the LA and MK Together, supported by robust evidence-based decision making and planning.
- The IC operates a professional consultation service, providing advice and information to staff within MKCC, partner agencies and external organisations regarding child protection and looked after children processes and other specialist aspects of the child protection process.
- The child’s voice is heard; the children and family are appropriately participant in the child protection and looked after children process resulting in the children being able to achieve good outcomes.
- The IC models and promotes partnership with key agencies, ensuring collaboration, information sharing and integrated planning for the benefit of the children.
- Robust quality assurance and scrutiny systems are in place and reported within Children Social Care, which demonstrably make a difference to professional practice and outcomes for children and families in Milton Keynes.
- Role holders lead and contribute to activities requiring expert knowledge and specialist skills such as training and development, policies and procedures, projects and other tasks relating to child protection and children in care, on behalf of Children Social Care and partner agencies.
- Routine cover for the LADO as part of the duty system.
The Ideal Candidate
- Social work qualification (DipSW, CQSW, Degree in social work or equivalent). Registered with the GSCC and meets the needs of ongoing registration.
- Significant childcare experience post qualification undertaken in a statutory setting, sufficient to demonstrate a thorough working understanding of the Children’s Social Care agenda.
- Specialist and extensive theoretical, practical and procedural knowledge of safeguarding and childcare issues, legislation and policy and research
- Ability to chair complex meetings, analyse, summarise and write/ record relevant information clearly and concisely so that users and colleagues easily understand it.
- Evidence of ability to effectively manage workload to ensure effective performance and outcomes
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to monitor performance by the LA of their functions in relation to a child’s case, ensuring that agreed plans are implemented within available resources in a timely and effective manner to achieve best outcomes for the child.
- Strong negotiation skills and personal authority: ability to constructively challenge practice and performance where necessary.
- Able to make considered evidence-based decisions, analyse and evaluate complex information in high-risk situations
- Self-motivating and able to work autonomously using wide discretion and initiative to make difficult decisions and support colleagues in complex work.
- Demonstrates leadership in a complex organisational environment. This includes providing supervision, co-ordination, training and development, allocation of work, quality assurance and providing direction.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.