The Housing Solutions Service is undergoing radical changes with a vision to creatively increase its private sector supply, prevent and reduce homelessness and become an exemplar in terms of best practice for reducing homelessness through fresh innovative procurement and acquisitions.
We are looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic Housing Assistant to join our busy Housing Solutions Assessment Team, working specifically with residents in temporary accommodation. You will liaise daily with members of the public, colleagues and external agencies ensuring a first class customer service is provided to residents approaching our service.
Main responsibilities on a typical day include :
- Detailed record keeping and data entry on Northgate Housing Systems
- Completing signups for offers of interim/ temporary accommodation in line with Housing Act 1996 (as amended), code of guidance and relevant case law
- Supporting residents to understand their rights and legal obligations in temporary accommodation
- Liaising with colleagues in internal departments and external agencies to proactively manage residents in temporary accommodation
- Handle customer enquiries in relation to their temporary accommodation placement
- Manage a caseload of low level Anti Social Behaviour Complaints
- Provide welfare support and advice relating to benefits including Housing Benefit
- Sign posting residents to relevant support agencies/ safeguarding
- Conducting Occupancy Checks for those in temporary accommodation
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals with experience of working in a housing settling or related work e.g advice/ welfare benefits. You will need to have strong communication skills and the ability to work closely with colleagues, other departments and statutory and voluntary agencies to provide an effective prevention focused service for homeless applicants, many of whom have multiple vulnerabilities and support needs.
You will have excellent communication skills, work well under pressure, have attention to detail and have proactive problem solving skills. Most of all you must be confident with dealing with complex situations and have excellent customer service qualities.
Must be confident with using IT systems including Office 365
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.