The Council is the largest Social Housing landlord in Milton Keynes. We have over 12,000 properties spread across a tight geographical area, due to the areas unique history and geography, we have a wide range of different types of homes, communities, neighbourhoods and estates ranging from the brutalist architecture of the 1960’s through to terraces built in the age of the Victorians.
Our property portfolio is just as diverse as our tenant population, and we manage properties which house tenants from all walks of life, with different backgrounds, needs, opinions and service requirements.
The pivotal Estate Supervisor role involves managing a Caretaking & Cleaning cohort of the Estates Services Team who are tasked with providing safe and clean environments for the Council’s communal areas within its Housing Blocks. You will ensure the team also conducts safety focussed audits and inspections, and the reporting of repairs to our maintenance contractors, as well as ensuring the team supports and assists colleagues within the Neighbourhoods Service, while working with different agencies and stakeholders.
After a recent change in strategy regarding how we deliver our Housing Management function, we are recruiting for a third Estate Supervisor to work alongside the existing two Supervisors, to provide a consistent managerial and support function to our Caretakers and Cleaners.
- To lead, coordinate and motivate a caretaking team, ensuring key objectives are achieved, including the monitoring of productivity, performance and staff behaviours so that high standards are met
- To be responsible for the effective management and oversight of contracted services on estates, including waste collection, health & safety audits, building audits, bulky goods removal, grounds maintenance and pest control
- Working with Caretakers to ensure they deliver to agreed outcomes and actions across housings estate and garage sites
- To implement action plans and take a problem-solving approach to tackling specific issues
- To take responsibility for ordering equipment and supplies following MKC procedures and developing processes to ensure the team use and maintain equipment and fleet vehicles
The Ideal Candidate
- You will will have a deep understanding of excellent people management and how to get the best out of the staff you manage
- A passion to drive service improvement and an understanding of the challenges in the management of housing estates
- The ability to communicate effectively with customers, and colleagues giving clear information about a wide range of housing and other services
- A true collaborator who is willing to work cross-departmentally and willing to challenge and change the status-quo
- Hold a drivers licence with the ability to drive fleet vehicles
- Ability to assist with ad-hoc manual handling tasks including carrying large / bulky items
- A fantastic communicator who can communicate effectively with our residents
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. Here at Milton Keynes Council, we pride ourselves on modelling our values, that were co-created with colleague. We are dedicated, respectful and collaborative as we strive every day to make a difference to local people and the community we serve. If you share our values and want to experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.