As your new Customer Liaison Officer, you will act as a single point of contact for customers, both public and professionals who contact the council in relation to any aspect of children’s access to early years and school, which comprises of school place sufficiency, access to early years and childcare, school admissions and home to school transport.
- Provide comprehensive, specialist information and advice by telephone, email and face to face, for customers who require help and support in accessing education
- Process applications for two year old places, free school meals, school places and home to school transport promptly and accurately with a target turn-around of five working days
- Maintain accurate records regarding children missing education; excluded; not-attending; withdrawn to be home educated; or on part time school timetables, and carry out further investigations / provide advice and guidance where necessary.
- Support the co-ordination of the admissions process for children due to start school, transfer to junior school or start secondary school each year, meeting all national deadlines
- Meet parents, carers, social workers and other professionals to support those unable to easily independently access the service to do so with high quality support
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrate a working understanding of IT systems
- Ability to advise, guide and negotiate with a wide range of people both verbally and in writing regarding complicated, or sensitive information.
- Ability to respond quickly on information, using own initiative and assessment of risk, with suggestions for outcomes
- Flexible and adaptable with a calm, positive approach to the ever-changing work environment
- To work effectively on own initiative whilst recognising when support/advice is required
- Good organisational and administrative skills
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.