This fixed term role is ringfenced for Milton Keynes City Council care leavers aged 21 and over who are looking to make their mark working with young people.
As a Youth Work Apprentice in our Children’s Services Participation and Engagement team, you’ll help to provide positive and aspirational activities for young people across Milton Keynes, ensuring that that their voice is heard by those making decisions that affect them.
As part of this role, you’ll complete a level 3 youth work apprenticeship with one of the UK’s leading training providers, as well as on-the-job support and learning. You’ll work under the leadership of the Participation Manager and 16-25 Team Manager to deliver a programme of activities for care leavers and young people.
The role will require an enhanced DBS.
- To deliver a regular needs assessment and analysis to ensure that the needs of young people including care leavers are updated. Routinely report to line managers
- To support Youth Workers, Social Workers and PAs design and deliver activities, sessions and support programmes that meet the identified needs of the young people
- To work towards and successfully complete the Youth Work Apprenticeship at Level 3 within 18 months from the start date including attending the required tuition days with the training provider
- To support Team Managers with event, project management and communications tasks
- Support young people to contribute their views and feedback to decision making within the community and Local Authority processes
The Ideal Candidate
A MKCC Care Leaver aged 21 or over, who cares about supporting young people, who is creative and who is willing to learn new skills
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.