The Young Peoples Drug and Alcohol (YPDA) service deliver a high quality and caring service for young people aged 18 and under (up to 25 with additional needs). We are passionate about the service we offer, and are always looking for innovative and creative ways to develop and deliver interventions.
We work with young people who are affected by their own or someone else`s substance use, or would just like to gain more knowledge, whether they use substances or not. Our aim is to support young people in making more informed choices, and enable them to develop skills and strategies so that they can flourish and lead healthy, happy and safe lives.
Managed under the umbrella of Youth Offending Service (YOS) this is an exciting opportunity to work collaboratively with the Youth Offending team (YOT), MK Youth, and the Missing and Exploitation team. In sharing knowledge and skills YOS staff are able to provide the most effective support options for young people who may present with often challenging and complex needs. We are recruiting to 2 full time posts.
- Completing assessments, risk assessments, devising careplans, and reviewing and updating these as required for all young people accessing support.
- Managing a case load of young people with varying needs
- Ensuring all work and interactions are recorded accurately and in a timely manner
- Carrying out one to one work with young people in a variety of settings including, schools, children`s centres and family homes
- Attending multiagency meetings and supporting colleagues by providing advice and information regarding substances and substance use when required
- Delivering drug and alcohol awareness sessions to schools and professionals
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of working with children
- Experience of working with substance use
- Managing varying demands of a diverse caseload and prioritising work effectively
- Good understanding of safeguarding
- Ability to build positive relationships with young people and other professionals
- Being able to work effectively as part of a team and independently, and to contribute to the overall development of the team.
- Good verbal and written communication, including IT skills
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.