Working as part of the Waste team, you will take a lead role in helping residents do the right thing for the environment by managing their waste effectively.
The role is based primarily at the Milton Keynes Council Waste Recovery Park, but the expectation is there will be a lot of direct public engagement in local communities and at events across Milton Keynes.
This is an exciting, flexible new role and will be at the forefront of delivering a new waste collection service for residents in Milton Keynes in 2023. You will lead a small team and work as part of a larger supportive team, responding to enquiries, working with residents in communities and lead an efficient operation for the waste team. Great leadership, problem solving, collaboration, communication and people skills are a must, plus an interest in recycling and sustainability.
There will be an excellent training/induction package to support you.
Closing date Tuesday 4 October
Shortlisting date Wednesday 5 October
Interview date Tuesday 11 October
- Develop and deliver events such as “Bins on Tour” within local communities.
- Develop and deliver training for staff, customer services and other stakeholders as required on waste and recycling changes.
- Ensure team accompany bin crew staff to engage with residents to improve service delivery.
- Lead a flexible working team.
- Develop a consistent reporting framework.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to manage and engage with variety of stakeholders on high profile projects using highly developed communications skills, managing expectations and ensure communications are consistent.
- Excellent project management and IT skills.
- Experience of leading and managing a team.
- Full driving licence.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Great event management organisation and leadership across a range of 'events'.
- Willingness to be flexible in working times - by exception some early morning.. starts, some evening meetings/events and the occasional weekend event.
- Ability to multitask and stay calm under pressure.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.