Here at Milton Keynes City Council, we are the largest Social Housing landlord in Milton Keynes with a wide range of different communities and neighbourhoods, including two permanent authorised traveller sites. This role sits within our Neighbourhood Services function and will based from home (with the expectation that the successful candidate will spend most of their time on site), with a requirement to work from Civic one day per week. So, if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes City Council.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
Ensure all authorised Travellers Sites belonging to Milton Keynes Council are clean, safe and licence conditions are enforced, whilst aiding customers to sustain their licences.
To ensure the highest quality of authorised local authority travellers’ sites by undertaking investigations, inspections and enforcement activities in response to complaints and enquiries, ensuring that government and council policies, objectives, plans, priorities and legislation are successfully implemented.
To take or commission appropriate action to deal with authorised Travellers Sites property matters, such as, disrepair, litter, dumped rubbish, poorly maintained landscaping, graffiti and abandoned vehicles.
Assist in any crime reduction and social inclusion initiatives in the areas they manage, this may cross into other HRA owned housing stock.
The Ideal Candidate
- A good standard of numeracy and literacy.
Able to demonstrate knowledge of relevant housing legislation.
Able to demonstrate an awareness of IT systems and able to use Word and Excel.
Knowledge of Travellers licence enforcement to include dealing with illegal occupation, abandonment, and crime.
Experience of working closely with Travellers to promote the resident's involvement, representing the Council at meetings and assisting with any crime reduction and social inclusion initiatives. This will include working with colleagues recovering rent and other income, where licence enforcement actions are being taken. The role holder will also be required to understand and assist with maximising customers incomes.
Experience of communicating verbally and in writing to a range of audiences.
Able to identify issues and develop future operational plans.
Able to plan and prioritise work and delivery to deadlines.
Able to influence, persuade and negotiate to achieve positive outcomes.
Able to use resources efficiently and effectively in line with Council guidelines.
Being open to ideas on how to improve the service area, taking measured risks to try new ideas.
Setting an example by displaying an active commitment to a culture that embraces excellent customer service.
To ensure that the City Council complies with the Crime and Disorder Act 1998; Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, Prevention of Housing Fraud Act 2013 and all related statutory legislation & guidance for the management of authorised Travellers Sites.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About The Organisation
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.