We’re looking for an experienced and knowledgeable Team Manager to join our Family Support Team (North) within Children’s Social Care.
In this well-established role, you’ll manage a team consisting of a Deputy Manager, Senior Practitioners and Social Workers to fulfil Milton Keynes City Council’s statutory requirements under Children Act 1989, adoption and fostering services regulations and other legislation and statutory guidance.
You’ll lead your team to achieve the best possible outcomes for children and young people and their families by adopting our ‘golden triangle’ approach. You’ll be responsible for one of three Children and Family Practices (Targeted Early Help Team) who deliver support and intervention to children and families.
You will be joining a service where all senior and frontline managers are in permanent positions and our entire workforce is made up of less than 10% agency which is something we’re proud of. We’re a dedicated service and are always willing to go the extra mile to do all we can to keep children and their families together.
Interviews will be held for this role on 3 April
This role is eligible for you to be referred by an MKCC employee, as part of the Children’s Services Social Worker Referral Scheme. The successful candidate, and the referrer, will, subject to all conditions of the scheme being met, receive £1000. The reward is split into two £500 payments, the first received on appointment, and the second after the first-year anniversary of being in post. You must indicate in your application, the name of the person referring you, for this to apply. It can not be applied retrospectively.
- Ensure that all children in need, in need of protection, and/or in care are safeguarded and their well-being is promoted effectively, through the application of specialist theory, practical and procedural knowledge.
- Ensure robust monitoring/auditing mechanisms are in place in line with Children’s Social Care policies and procedures.
- Routinely review and scrutinise the team’s data to ensure its accuracy and act on this to ensure the team’s performance meets the required standards.
- Care plans need to be robust to reflect the interventions in place and the plans for these to be implemented need to be SMART, all care plans need to be scrutinised and approved by the Team Manager.
- Lead and facilitate partnership working with key agencies, ensuring best possible outcomes for children.
- Ensure relevant multi agency involvement at Family Support Meetings, Core Group Meetings, Professionals/Strategy Meetings. This is to ensure holistic plans are in place to meet the needs of children and their families.
- The designated team budgets are effectively and creatively managed to ensure that every pound spent, and staff and resources used, delivers the most benefit to children and families.
- Responsible for ensuring staff performance conforms to the required professional and performance standards, including full electronic recording of work on the Integrated Children’s System.
- To use detailed and complex analysis from highly complex information and from a variety of sources and quality to underpin creative short- and long-term solutions in highly complex and risky situations
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Social Worker with a valid Social Work England registration, eligible to work in the UK and hold a UK driving licence. Minimum of 4 years post qualification experience, and post qualification award in subjects related to child or family work.
- Advanced specialist and detailed theoretical knowledge of childcare issues, legislation, policy and research.
- Included detailed knowledge of related specialist areas e.g., Health, Probation, SEN.
- Ability to analyse highly complex information, summarise and write/record relevant information clearly and concisely so that it is easily understood by users and colleagues. Information will be from a variety of sources and may require careful interpretation.
- Monitor workflow and enable good throughputs of work to and from the team, whilst ensuring standards are met.
- Able to coordinate the complex work of the team ensuring cases are allocated appropriately and promptly; responding to crisis by directing the work of the team to ensure urgent action is taken to prevent escalation of the problem.
- Able to monitor workflow, set standards and monitor performance in order to promote quality throughout the team in order to provide a good standard of service to customers.
- Self-motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to prioritise work, achieve deadlines and work effectively as part of a team in a solution focussed way.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.