We are looking for a vibrant new member of our Highways Development & Network Team. You will ideally be a senior manager with significant experience in development control functions as well as qualified engineer with substantial experience in managing small to major highways projects in a similar environment, skilled in developing effective working relationships to enhance collaborative working both internally and with partners.
Passionate and with the drive to ensure necessary changes are achieved along with continued improvement and development of operational excellence through strategic direction and decision making.
To manage the MKC Highway Infrastructure in relation to;
- All contract finances in line with open book accounting
- Delivering the highways traffic schemes capital programme
- Managing the scheme design from planning through highway adoptions processes to hand over back to the maintenance team
- Leading on the technical review of Developer works on the Highway including ensuring the appropriate legal agreements are in place.
- Leading on the planning process to ensure all planning applications are professionally assessed from highway perspective with due regard to all relevant legislation, guidance and policies. Leading on negotiations of financial contributions or physical improvements for inclusion in S106 agreements/tariff by way of mitigating the impact of proposed development on the public highway.
- Managing the design of schemes provided through wider highway team
- Leading on technical review of schemes on the Highway to ensure that designs comply with current asset management policy, highway guidance’s and best highway practises
- Managing and agreeing target costing for relevant schemes
- Finance and programme monitoring to ensure that the DM, Adoptions and Highways Capital Programme are delivered on time and on budget in the most efficient way.
- Managing the interface with Members, Parishes and customers in relation to development scheme delivery, management and consultation
- Promotion and encouragement of partnership working with developers, consultants, contracts and throughout the Contract term if required
- To be a council’ highways expert and to represent the council at Public Inquiries, Magistrates’ Court and other hearings.
To ensure compliance with MKC corporate process and procedures
The Ideal Candidate
- exceptional communication and negotiation skills
- excellent project manager skills
- a natural ability to engage at all levels
- professionalism, emotional intelligence and integrity
- effective motivational leadership and vision setting to staff at all levels
- a positive attitude to change in order to develop and maintain services in a constantly changing environment
- significant ability and experience to deliver the duties of this role.
The successful candidate for this role will be organised, focused, and have a high level of attention to detail, ensuring all your team completes work to the expected quality. We are looking for someone who has proven experience of motivating and leading staff, who can be positive, dedicated and ensure a culture of teamwork.
To be shortlisted, you will be required to evidence the following knowledge and experience in your application:
- To provide and review comments on Planning applications
- experience in Development Control Committees
- The Section 278/38 process
- Experience in managing small to major highways projects
- Highway design standards
- Experience of managing a team or individual
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.