Our Taxi Licensing Service has a new opening for an Enforcement Officer to join them. The successful candidate will carry out daily Taxi patrols and enforcement checks between the hours of 07:00 & 19:00. As the new Enforcement Officer, you will need to have experience in undertaking patrol/enforcement type work or, alternatively have worked in a licensing/law enforcement environment.
The primary role for this position will be to ensure that the Hackney Carriage and private hire trade in Milton Keynes are compliant with the law and Council Policy in order to promote public safety. The officer will also deal with drivers and vehicles licensed by other Councils and provide information to other Council’s when dealing with licensing breaches.
- Approach licensed vehicles with a view to recording vehicle and driver details.
- Identify and record any potential breaches of licensing law and Council policy/conditions.
- Instruct drivers to produce information, documentation and to move on from certain areas.
- Issue Formal Suspension Notices to drivers who are in breach of their licenses and then record these Notices on the Council's computer system.
- Discuss with senior colleagues what further action(s) should be undertaken such as revocation, suspension or issuing of penalty points to drivers when licensing breaches are identified.
- Investigate complaints about licensed drivers.
- Attend Court/Council Committees when required.
- Combine working from home with street level enforcement duties.
- Undertake driver assessment testing and Safeguarding training for licence holders.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in an enforcement/patrol type role or alternatively have worked in a licensing / law enforcement environment role.
- Needs to be flexible and be able to work alone and during un-sociable hours.
- General understanding of PACE and how it is applied in Local Government.
- Some knowledge of Outlook, Excel and Word software.
- Must be a team player and able to work with - and take instructions from – senior officers.
- Must have a valid driving licence and own transport.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to deal with conflict and aggression in a calm, confident and professional way.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.