The Rough Sleeping Team are looking for new members to join as Support Workers to assist our residents who have experience of rough sleeping, rough sleeping lifestyles and homelessness.
We are looking for Support Workers to provide evening cover at our male night provision. The evening shift will be from 5pm to 9pm, 7-days a week, via a rota system. All staff will work in teams of two.
An Alternative Work Pattern (AWP) may be assigned to basic pay for those posts which are deemed to have the most disruptive and non-standard working pattern. This can be up to 35% on top of total basic pay.
- Being empathetic and flexible with those who have complex needs.
- Offer face to face support to encourage engagement.
- Managing challenging behaviours whist working in a potentially stressful environment.
- Maintaining thorough and accurate case records and work collaboratively with the day staff.
- Partnership working with agencies and departments across the council to provide an efficient out of hours service.
- To ensure that Health and Safety procedures are being followed, to minimise risks and to keep residents and staff safe.
The Ideal Candidate
- Someone with good communication skills.
- Someone who knows about, or can learn to manage challenging behaviours.
- Someone who enjoys listening to people and trying to put things right.
- Someone with computer skills, Microsoft, etc.
- Someone who is flexible – you might be asked to work an alternative shift.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.