We are looking for an experienced individual to play a pivotal role within the newly shaped Supply & Acquisitions service, putting our residents first and assisting with dramatically reducing the use of temporary accommodation and increasing its portfolio within private sector affordable properties.
You will be a vital resource that provides legal advice, caselaw information and guidance to landlords and property developers. You will be responsible for all compliant characteristics of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, ensuring that the property is of good standard, suitable and affordable. This role will work with a wide range of stakeholders, legal departments, commissioning colleagues and landlords.
This is a hybrid role with the requirement to come into the office once a week & we offer a full range of IT products that allow you to work from home effectively.
Please see attached job role for further information relating to the post. If you would like any additional information or to have an informal discussion regarding this post, please contact Katie Smith on email@example.com.
- To achieve targets to procure properties in the private rented sector for the council to use for temporary accommodation, homelessness prevention, or discharging a housing duty.
- To be responsible for the contract management, HHSRS assessments and inspections of all units procured by MKC.
- To identify cost effective opportunities to acquire accommodation in the private rented sector taking into account the cost to the council, welfare benefit legislation and the private sector rental market.
The Ideal Candidate
- Trained/high level experience of utilising the Housing Health & Safety Rating System.
- A thorough understanding of current issues affecting social housing and private housing provision.
- High level written and oral communication skills, with excellent robust negotiation and mediation skills. (You will have a good experience in negotiating, ideally having worked with landlords previously and have excellent business acumen.)
- Have excellent IT & administration skills to navigate through various systems on a daily basis.
- You will have a problem-solving background with experience in managing property portfolios, including a proven track record of having strong communication and written skills.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.