We’ve created a rewarding new role for a Mental Health In-patient Social Worker to represent and build links to our Adult Social Care service within local acute mental health unit The Campbell Centre and the Cherrywood Rehabilitation Inpatient Unit. In return, we offer a £3,000 - £4,000 market supplement (pro rata) dependant on experience and a Golden Hello payment of £2,000 - £6,000 (pro rata) for those new or returning to care and dependant on experience.
You’ll be responsible for carrying out adult social care assessments and supporting timely discharge of patients. You’ll attend ward rounds and liaise with the multi-disciplinary team to achieve the best results and appropriate discharge for patients.
This role is primarily based within the Campbell Centre Acute Mental Health Hospital but will be managed through Milton Keynes City Council Adult Social Care Mental Health team. Travel out of area will be required at times as you will need to assess some local residents ready for discharge from hospitals in other areas.
Some completion of Social Circumstances reports will be required.
You’ll receive a minimum of monthly peer supervision, have the opportunity for clinical supervision provided by Mental Health clinical staff and supervision support through the Adult Social Care Mental Health team.
- Risk – jointly responsible for leading and coordinating cases involving cases of high risk and complexity.
- Ability to anticipate, assess, analysis and make judgements whilst building trust and credibility and listening to vulnerable adults are all critical to considered outcomes.
- Record and monitor.
- Professional Curiosity - ability to reflect and use creativity to explore individual circumstances to plan appropriate interventions.
- Effective Case Management - balance the varying demands of a caseload, maintain accurate individual case records and ensure that all required reports are completed to agreed timescales.
- Supporting formal and peer discussions with junior colleagues including observation and providing feedback.
- Strength Based Practice - supporting individual’s independence and their ability to make choices, maximising those strengths to enable them to achieve desired outcomes.
- Recognise the short- and long-term impact of psychological, socio-economic, environmental and physiological factors on people’s lives, taking into account age and development and how this informs practice.
- Promote and work in accordance with ethical social work practice.
- Coordinate and lead professional meetings and support junior colleagues.
- Attendance and in-patient ward rounds.
- Coordinating timely discharge through Adult Social Care assessment.
- Compiling Social Circumstances Reports.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’ll be a qualified social worker with experience with Mental Health and ideally adult social care.
- Good knowledge of current legal frameworks such as the Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Post qualification experience of being a Best Interest Assessor or an Approved Mental Health professional or Practice Teachers award would be desirable.
- Must have access to a vehicle and valid driving licence.
- Qualified Social Worker with Social Work England.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.