An exciting opportunity for a senior social worker to join our Adult Social Care Mental Health Team, leading and supporting on our Transitions Pathway placing. In return, we offer a £3,000 - £4,000 market supplement (pro rata) dependant on experience and a Golden Hello payment of £2,000 - £6,000 (pro rata) for those new or returning to care and dependant on experience.
You’ll primarily work with young people aged 16-25 with complex mental health and trauma histories as they transition from children’s services into adult services. You’ll prepare them for adulthood, working alongside external agencies and partners to produce positive outcomes. You will also work alongside CAMHs transitions workers and children’s services colleagues.
Reporting to the Mental Health and Complex Needs Team, you’ll attend transitions meetings, and make assessments, acting with independence and autonomy.
This role would suit a social worker with a children’s background (or familiar with relevant children’s legislation) who is keen to gain experience within adult services, or someone with transitions experience or a strong interest within transitions pathways.
For more information on the Mental Health and Complex Needs Team please see information attached.
- Risk – jointly responsible for leading and coordinating cases involving cases of high risk and complexity.
- Carryout Adult Social Care Assessments and Review primarily focusing on young people and adults who are 16-25 through our transitions pathway.
- Lead Transitions Pathway development with joint working with Children and Adult services.
- Ability to anticipate, assess, analysis and make judgements whilst building trust and credibility and listening to vulnerable adults are all critical to considered outcomes.
- Record and monitor.
- Professional Curiosity - ability to reflect and use creativity to explore individual circumstances to plan appropriate interventions.
- Effective Case Management - balance the varying demands of a caseload, maintain accurate individual case records and ensure that all required reports are completed to agreed timescales.
- Supporting formal and peer discussions with junior colleagues including observation and providing feedback.
- Strength Based Practice - supporting individual’s independence and their ability to make choices, maximising those strengths to enable them to achieve desired outcomes.
- Recognise the short- and long-term impact of psychological, socio-economic, environmental and physiological factors on people’s lives, taking into account age and development and how this informs practice.
- Promote and work in accordance with ethical social work practice.
- Coordinate and lead professional meetings and support junior colleagues.
The Ideal Candidate
- You’ll be a qualified social worker registered with Social Work England with experience with Mental Health and ideally have experience of adult social care or Children's Social care.
- Good knowledge of current legal frameworks such as the Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act 2005, Mental Health Act 1983 and Children Act 1989.
- Post qualification experience of being a Best Interest Assessor or an Approved Mental Health professional or Practice Teachers award would be desirable.
- Must have access to a vehicle and valid driving licence.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.