The Rough Sleeping Team are looking for an experienced social worker to assist our residents who have experience of rough sleeping, rough sleeping lifestyles and homelessness. This is an exciting opportunity to join a brand-new flagship team in helping our most vulnerable residents and achieve the commitment made by the government’s Rough Sleeping Strategy to end rough sleeping by 2027. We’re looking for applicants that are passionate about making a difference to those rough sleeping in Milton Keynes. You will provide a customer focused service to our rough sleeping community, supporting them to achieve positive housing outcomes. The post will be based at our Civic offices, our male shelter and within our community.
- To partner and work closely with a Navigator to offer dedicated support to our rough sleeping community.
- Support rough sleeping residents and colleagues through an understanding of the issues facing rough sleepers and the current government rough sleeping strategy.
- Have a thorough understanding of the risks associated with rough sleepers and a strong ability to manage boundary issues involved in working with these residents, adapting your working style to the needs of the situation and individual.
- Work flexibly within shift patterns and manage time effectively with multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities whist working in a potentially stressful environment that may require the challenging of negative behaviours with a knowledge of harm minimisation advice and techniques.
- Maintain thorough and accurate up to date case records and work proactively with the Deputy Manager and Rough Sleeper Manager to ensure that all actions regarding improving the service are recorded efficiently for statistical analysis.
- Offer face to face support to encourage engagement. Confirm and verify rough sleepers reported so ensure statutory obligations are delivered by the Housing Solutions Team.
- Provide a customer-focussed and efficient service to our rough sleeping community, supporting them to achieve positive housing outcomes. Maintain an empathic and adaptable style through a person-centred approach to those with multiple complex needs.
- To work strategically with partners and MKC departments to provide effective delivery and coordination of out of hours services. This will include close partnership working with the Winter Night Shelter.
- To be responsible for Health and Safety procedures and that standards are met. Taking actions and finding solutions as necessary to manage risk and support needs preventing or addressing problems and failings. To minimise risk and ensure the correct decisions are made when dealing with waking support.
- To liaise with other partnership agencies and departments across the council to provide an efficient out of hours service.
- Giving advice and information to rough sleeping residents so they understand future housing and their rights and responsibilities in that accommodation.
The Ideal Candidate
A qualified social worker registered with Social Work England and hold relevant experience.
Someone who has access to a car and holds a driving licence.
Someone with a social work degree.
Someone who wants to become a part of a supportive and friendly team.
Someone who is passionate about making a difference to those rough sleeping in Milton Keynes
Someone who is empathetic and can understand the challenges rough sleepers face.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.