To support in the development of our Contextual Safeguarding Team, MKCC is looking for a qualified Social Worker with specific interest and skill in working with girls in gangs. This Social Worker will be innovative and young person focused, allowing for effective social work practice led by the young person. The successful candidate will have experience in managing significant risk related to exploitation and will be familiar with multi-disciplinary planning to mitigate and manage risk.
Duties of this social work role will include; engaging young people, managing the young person’s plan, safety planning, working with the wider support network/community, working with partners and supporting the wider multi-disciplinary team.
Using contextual safeguarding as an approach you will work closely with TVP colleagues to share intelligence around the girls networks and connections in order to provide safety and opportunities for change through disruption.
Joining the contextual safeguarding team at this early stage brings the opportunity to develop a specialism and shape the role through creative social work practice.
- To ensure assessments are carried out effectively, speaking to/observing the child/young person, and within timescales so that their care needs are clearly identified and recorded. To ensure accurate individual case records are maintained electronically for children/young people.
- To devise, implements and monitors childcare plans and interventions appropriate for each child/family to address identified needs through regular reviews in line with statutory timescales and legislation. All duties carried out are in line with the 1989 Children Act.
- Responsible for managing a childcare workload which involves supporting children within their families or in care settings, taking timely action to protect children and working with other services to ensure their needs are met across all 5 Every Child Matters outcomes.
- To work closely with other agencies and services in a co-operative way, sharing information and planning care together to meet the needs of the child/young person holistically.
- To attend regular supervisory sessions with the Team/Deputy Manager and/or Senior colleagues to regularly monitor progress and identify development needs.
- Represent the Local Authority in public and private law proceedings which will involve oral evidence being given in Court, writing Court statements, care plans and complying with the directions as set out in Court Orders.
The Ideal Candidate
- Professional qualification in Social Work with experience in Social Care and/or Policing/Youth justice field relevant to child exploitation.
- To possess good written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills with ability to question, challenge, solve problems and complete tasks within variable time frames.
- Social Workers who want to work in a multi-disciplinary team with young people at the centre.
- Social Workers who want to specialise in contextual safeguarding with young people.
- Must be self-motivating and able to make difficult decisions in complex work.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.