We’re looking for highly experienced Social Workers who are Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHP) to join our progressive and strengths based Mental Health Social Care Team.
Within this Advanced Practitioner role you will cover AMHP duty for a minimum of two days per month within your usual working pattern. Part-time roles will also be considered.
You will be joining a like-minded team of highly experienced, dynamic and critical Social Workers and AMHPs and supporting colleagues delivering Adult Care Services. You will have been practising and warranted for a minimum of two years. You’ll be responsible for providing advice and support to staff within the team, and advice and assessment to service users with mental health difficulties.
An additional payment of £2025 per year is paid to the Approved Mental Health Professionals on pro rata basis.
We have two posts available. We will review applications as they come in and offer interviews accordingly, and plan to close this vacancy when we have filled both posts. If you would like to discuss this role further, please contact Team Managers Luke Jones on 07434623051 or Caren Taylor 07836 323 801.
Please see attached team summary and highlights of the roles.
- Be part of the AMHP duty rota and carry out the AMHP’s roles, responsibilities and accountabilities under the Mental Health Act as required. This may include needing to work outside of your contractual working hours to ensure they are managed within agreed timescales
- To conduct assessments and manage cases including the need to make applications for compulsory detention in hospital under the Mental Health Act
- Coordinate, manage and take responsibility in conjunction with other professionals for the health and safety of all participants (including police and ambulance personnel) during the Mental Health Act assessment process
- To adhere to the professional standards and continuous professional development as detailed in MKCC policies and procedures and standards set by Social Work England
- Undertake the assessment of adults and children with mental health problems including assessing risk and planning, implementing and reviewing services as appropriate to enable independent functioning and ensure that service users and their carers are protected from harm, referring on to other services where appropriate
- Ensure excellent case management of varying complexity and joint working is delivered by the team, with a multi-disciplinary approach. Develop and implement monitoring and audit processes to ensure continued service improvement, including case reviews in line with national targets
- Where relevant deputising for manager on cases specific to the post. Attending all relevant strategic and operational meetings as directed
- Develop and build strong and productive relationships with colleagues and partner agencies, both internal and external to MKC. This will have the effect of more efficient use of resources, leading to improved outcomes for service users, patients and their families
- Ensure data and information is captured and stored appropriately and to the highest accuracy to inform performance management and quality. Analyse data to provide management reports regarding operational performance and for returns to central government and associated bodies
- The management of complaints allocated to them by the Team Manager regarding AMHP specific cases
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Social Worker registered with Social Work England
- Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) Qualification. You will need to have at least two years post qualifying experience, as a warranted AMHP. In order to remain in the role of AMHP Advanced Practitioner, you must maintain your warranted status, or you will regress to H grade experienced social worker
- Expert knowledge of the Care Act, Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act and other relevant legislation
- Excellent understanding of mental health issues and possible impact on others
- Excellent assessment and communication skills: able to accurately assess individual’s circumstances in relation to the role and service and develop appropriate plans
- To act as a mentor to AMHP trainees and provide high standard written evidence to affiliated University assessment board
- Participate in regular professional supervision, both individual and group and take active responsibility for personal development and appraisal as well as supervising others in line with MKCC Policies and Procedures
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.