To support the delivery of a Shared Lives service for Shared Lives MK by recruiting and assessing carers, matching service users to carer placements, monitoring and reviewing carer placements to an agreed framework and maintaining an overview of the support needs of service users in those placements.
- Support the manager in the prioritisation and allocation of referrals. To deputise for manager as needed.
- To support the manager in reviewing working arrangements of Shared Lives MK in line with changes in registration requirements, partnership priorities and the needs of local people.
- To be responsible for the processing of formal applications to become Shared Lives Carers, following agreed protocols.
- To assist in the development of Care Plans, adopting a person centred approach for individuals using the scheme, prior to the individual taking up a placement.
- To provide consistent support, guidance to Shared Lives Carers on the caseload.
- To record and monitor work using electronic case management system.
- .To manage a caseload and be first contact for carers on the caseload
- To contribute to review of service in preparation for inspections by regulatory body (Care Quality Commission).
- To contribute to the development and implementation of risk assessments and support plans for carers and vulnerable people.
- To update promotional material and liaise with web team to keep information updated.
- To report any concerns around service delivery and where necessary support the managers in ensuring that local procedures in relation to the protection and safeguarding of vulnerable adults are implemented.
- To participate and lead in regular team meetings.
- To assist in the organisation of recruitment drives and public relations exercises for the recruitment of carers for the scheme in line with the Council’s policies and procedures.
- To work within agreed protocols for working with other teams across the partnership and directorate.
- To assist in effective use of resources as instructed by managers.
- To assess the training and development needs of Shared Lives Carers referred to the scheme and those providing a service.
- To participate in the organisation and delivery of training programmes for Shared Lives Carers.
- To participate in the development of service performance priorities and collection of data to evidence service delivery
- To develop own skills and capabilities through performance appraisals, including the setting and reviewing of competencies and personal development plans.
- To undertake core training and any other developmental activities in line with requirements of the post.
- To participate in individual supervision as per supervision agreement.
- To embrace the diverse nature of the service and ensure that agreed policies in relation to equalities and diversity are implemented and embedded in all practice.
- To develop understanding, knowledge and ability to follow guidelines that ensures compliance to Health and Safety at Work, Data Protection and other statutory requirements.
- To undertake any other temporary duties consistent with the basic duties and/or objectives of the post.
- Accountability and problem solving will be based within clear policy and procedure, and be based on an understanding of the issues that are likely to occur within working environments including crisis support and be able to effectively respond to these. Outside of this, Shared Lives officer will be expected to determine when it is appropriate to seek support from their line manager or others such as HR.
The Ideal Candidate
- Detailed understanding of the needs and practical support issues of people refereed to Shared Lives service including complex health needs and behaviours of concern. This will include the ability to demonstrate and understand how Positive Behaviour Support is effectively implemented in Learning Disability Services.
- Having full driving licence and use of a car with business insurance.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; including recording and report writing where required.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.