We have a new opening for a Senior Taxi Licensing Administrator to join us. The successful candidate will provide technical administrative skill and support to the Taxi Licensing team in order to enable the Council to satisfy its legal and policy duties in the processing of taxi licensing applications.
Ideally, you will understand the Taxi Licensing administrative process and the legislation and policy governing the grant of Hackney carriage and private hire driver, vehicle and operator licences.
- To provide a Taxi Licensing administrative service encompassing appropriate process, policy, legislation and smarter working initiatives in the grant and renewal of taxi licences to ensure public safety.
- Ensure that correct guidance is given and all applications are processed correctly and in accordance with Council policy.
- Ensure accurate records for driver, vehicle and operators are maintained and procedures followed.
- Monitor the Taxi Licensing inbox and respond to online applications/emails accordingly in a predominantly paperless environment.
- Monitor and control income from Taxi Licensing fees.
- To be responsible for receiving licence applications made to the Council and ensuring that they are in compliance with all legislative and policy requirements. To process them in a timely and efficient manner ensuring all computer records are accurately maintained.
- To receive payments and record such income correctly and accurately on Council systems.
- To be able to write emails as instructed in line with the knowledge and experience of the post.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of taxi licensing legislation or of a similar regulatory type role.
- Excellent administrative skills including the ability to use a range of online IT systems including word processing, Teams, Firmstep, Outlook, ERP, Civica and work in a predominantly paperless environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide an online administrative service including the composition of licenses, plates, badges, emails, letters and reports.
- Demonstrated ability in numeracy and literacy; and attention to detail.
- Able to record relevant information in a timely and accurate manner and be able to run computer reports, manage a busy inbox, and monitor/analyse data.
- Ability and experience to understand, plan, and prioritise workloads in line with statutory and policy time frames.
- Able to deal with difficult and challenging complainants, applicants and licence holders.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.