The Fostering Service at Milton Keynes City Council is a large friendly dynamic team, it is managed by one Operational Manager and supported by two Deputy Team Managers who focus on the day-to-day running of the service. There are two strands to the team including Support & Supervision and Recruitment & Assessment.
Together we are responsible for the recruitment, assessment, support and supervision of mainstream and kinship Foster Carers. We also assess, review and monitor private fostering arrangements and offer support, advice and assistance to our Special Guardian’s post order.
We are a busy team, managing a duty service, family finding for new or existing children in care, whilst responding to queries and enquiries from our Foster Carers. A key part of our role is balancing support and developing the skills and knowledge of our Foster Carers alongside compliance with Fostering Regulations and National Minimum Standards.
We are currently looking for a Full Time Senior Practitioner to join the Support and Supervision team to manage and support Foster Carers on their fostering journey.
- Provide Support and Supervision to Mainstream Foster Carers and approved Kinship Carers.
- Support Foster Carers in professional meetings.
- Support with Training and Development of Foster Carers.
- Facilitate and attend Foster Carer Support Groups and events .
- Support the effective running of the duty service which includes matching and making placements.
- Complete Foster Carer Annual Reviews and present to Fostering Panel if necessary.
- Keep accurate records.
- Ensure Foster Carer Compliance with Fostering Regulations and National Minimum Standards.
- Use reflection, other techniques and development tools to continually improve professional practice.
- Participate in staff meetings and contribute to the development of the team and
the wider service.
The Ideal Candidate
- A qualified Social Worker registered with Social Work England who has relevant Fostering Experience.
- Enhanced DBS, driving license and a car user.
- Knowledge of Fostering Regulations and National Minimum Standards.
- Ability to analyse, summarise and write/record relevant information to a high level.
- Able to communicate well with Foster Carers and children in addition to other colleagues, able to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to use IT systems effectively to record.
- Able to manage own work load effectively and willing to support other staff when need arises.
- Ability to work as part of a team including working co-operatively with other professionals and agencies to meet the needs of the Foster Carers and children they care for.
- Takes responsibility for quality and completion of own work within standards.
- Able to manage own time effectively.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.