We are looking for a Senior Contracts, Procurement & Governance Lawyer to join our in-house legal team. This role would be suitable for a qualified Solicitor or Fellow with 4-5years PQE in procurement law and contracts law with significant strength in construction contracts and experience in regeneration projects generally. Applicants with less PQE may be considered if they can demonstrate significant relevant experience. Milton Keynes Council Legal Services has a non-hierarchical philosophy and a focus on mentoring and personal development. We work as a team with our clients to support the Council to achieve value for money throughout the services we deliver. We consider value and behaviours strongly in our recruitment. As a forward-thinking legal department, we place emphasis on proactivity, commercial mindedness and pushing the boundaries. If you’re looking for an opportunity to contribute to an iconic town’s growth, make a tangible difference to people as well as enhance your own legal career, please contact us to find out more. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- To manage a caseload of medium and high-level matters ensuring that all work is both of a high quality and delivered in a timely manner. All work should be undertaken with the purpose of assisting the Council to achieve its business objectives and operates within the wider policy context.
- Through high quality service, advocacy, advice and casework to support the Council in achieving its outcomes successfully. To ensure that you have the current skills and competencies to advise on all relevant matters and that you ensure that these skills and competencies develop and adapt over time to meet future business developments.
- As a Senior Lawyer to assist in supervising the advice, advocacy and casework of more junior lawyers as arranged with the Principal Lawyer through supervision or other arrangements.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to all departments in relation to legal issues particularly in relation to complex commercial, procurement and contract law matters to assist the Council to deliver its objectives.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister (Supreme Court of England and Wales/English Bar) or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives or equivalent relevant qualification with relevant experience.
- Knowledge of procurement law and contracts law with particular strength in construction contracts and regeneration matters generally.
- Ability to draft and negotiate a variety of complex legal, transactional and other formal documentation including NEC and JCT contracts.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.