We are looking for experienced Council Tax officers to join our friendly Revenues Team.
This is an exciting opportunity to provide a service to the residents of Milton Keynes, including support for the most vulnerable people in our community and to help shape the service for the future.
You will deal with all aspects of the billing, collection and recovery of Council Tax, including maintaining computer records, dealing with routine correspondence, chasing unpaid debt and providing advice and support to customers through various channels. We may be able to offer flexible working arrangements, including homeworking.
For further enquiries or an informal chat please contact Amanda Coulton, 07825364050 or Jack Haines, 07385469617.
- Updating the Council’s Council Tax billing system to ensure that bills issued are correct and in accordance with the appropriate regulations, legislation and guidance.
- Offer advice and guidance to customers on all aspects of Council Tax, including discounts and exemptions.
- Undertake all necessary duties for the efficient billing, collection and recovery of the Council Tax.
- Liaising with stakeholders, including enforcement agencies, employers for attachments and other Council departments where required.
- Understand and meet the needs of our customers and identify and signpost customers in need of debt management or other advice.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ideally, you will have experience of working within a busy revenues service.
- Flexible and willing to adapt to change in a busy and demanding environment.
- Proven Customer Service experience.
- Proven experience of debt negotiation.
- IT Literate in Microsoft Office Applications.
- Experience of using NEC Northgate System.
- Proven aptitude for and experience of working with numbers/financial calculations, able to question and solve practical problems.
- A DBS check will be required for this role.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.