Based in Furzton, Furze House is a short breaks service that supports children and young people with disabilities and their families to have respite. The team work with young people between 5 and 18, who have a wide range of needs ranging from complex health to challenging behaviour. There is now a new opportunity for a Waking Night Residential Worker to work alongside children, families, and professionals to enable best outcomes for the children and families. The successful candidate will work 20 hours per week and receive a night allowance.
The service is governed by Ofsted, and all members of staff are required to go through Safer Recruitment checks before joining the service.
- To care for and work with children with a learning disability and their families, developing and meeting individual detailed care plans in conjunction with multi-agency colleagues.
- Develop and undertake activities that promote confidence, self-esteem, and life skills through educational, social and leisure activities.
- Make sure reports are accurate and kept up to date to ensure relevant information is available for children, families, colleagues, and other professionals in accordance with relevant regulations and agreed standards.
- Implement individual care plans for the children, undertake direct work both on and offsite with the children.
- Use and follow specific training strategies to de-escalate and manage challenging behaviour.
- Use clear written, verbal and non-verbal communication using a variety of methods of communication relevant to individual children, including Makaton, Symbols and Pecs.
- To model, mentor and coach children enabling the development of a range of skills.
The Ideal Candidate
- Hold Diploma level 3 for the Children’s and Young People’s work force or commence within 3 months.
- Previous experience of doing paid or voluntary work with children and or learning disability.
- Insight into the varying communication needs of children with learning disabilities, and the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally using a range of communication methods.
- Managing petty cash and personal monies responsibly within regulations.
- Full UK Driving Licence
- SPOKEN ENGLISH FLUENCY DUTY REQUIREMENT - The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for this post
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.