It is an exciting time to join our team and be part of the development and implementation of new initiatives for resident engagement across Milton Keynes. Ensuring that Milton Keynes Council meets the requirements and challenges of the Social Housing White Paper, recruiting new engaged tenants, setting up new tenant groups and challenging expectations on what it means to be involved with you Landlord.
As a Resident Engagement Officer based in our Neighbourhoods Team, you will be part of a supportive, professional team of Officers. The role will be responsible for engaging, empowering, and developing our tenants to have a voice and be a critical friend to the housing service.
You will be providing advice and guidance to Residents Associations and the support the development of new Associations across Milton Keynes.
Although this role is homebased, you will be expected to be out engaging with tenants and the wider community while attending the Office as and when required.
Training and personal development will be available, via our extensive in-house training catalogue and by external providers.
Empower and encourage tenants so that they have the information and skills to actively participate.
This will include the delivery and/or sourcing of training and other capacity building initiatives which will create and engaging and exciting offer for tenants of Milton Keynes Council.
Identify, develop, and implement new and innovative approaches to resident involvement to encourage the involvement of younger and a more diverse and representative range of residents, along with any other hard to reach groups.
Working collaboratively across teams to support the development and implementation of surveys and consultations, encouraging tenant participation.
Have a genuine commitment to customer care, be self-motivated and well organised, able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team, with the ability to work flexibly and outside of normal office hours as required, such as evening residents meetings.
The Ideal Candidate
A working and practised knowledge of the Tenant Involvement and Empowerment standard, a good understanding of the Government’s Social Housing White Paper, and the basic principles of co-production.
Demonstrable experience of working in a tenant focused or community development role either within a Local Authority, Registered Provider of Social Housing (Housing Association) or another tenant focused environment.
Demonstrating an empathic and considered approach regarding resident involvement from a wide spectrum of people, with ability to adapt communication style to suit different situations.
A valid UK driver’s licence and access to own vehicle.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.