Based in Furzton, Furze House is a short breaks service that supports children and young people with disabilities and their families to have respite. The team work with young people between 5 and 18, who have a wide range of needs ranging from complex health to challenging behaviour. There is now a new opportunity to build our team of Relief Residential Workers to work alongside children, families, and professionals to enable best outcomes for the children and families. The successful candidate will work on a relief basis.
The service is governed by Ofsted, and all members of staff are required to go through Safer Recruitment checks before joining the service.
- To work with children and young people with a learning disability and their families, developing and meeting individual detailed care plans. To exceed the required standards of practice defined by relevant legislation, national and local policies and guidance.
- To provide a 24/7 service of advice, guidance and support to relevant children and young people and their families.
- Contribute to the safeguarding, health, wellbeing and general development of the children.
- Develop insight into and skills in de-escalating and managing challenging behaviour that promotes the development of the child’s own social and emotional awareness and self management.
- Maintain accurate, concise and timely written records to ensure relevant information is available for families and team members in accordance with relevant regulations and standards.
- Work within an open framework taking part in various regulatory, formal and informal inspection processes undertaken by relevant individuals and bodies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Insight into the varying communication needs of children with learning disabilities and the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally using a range of communication methods.
- Experience of paid or voluntary work with children and or learning disability.
- Able to undertake handwritten communication to the level required for report writing
- Hold Diploma level 3 for the Children’s and Young People’s work force or complete within 3 years
- The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for this post.
- Physically able to undertake moving and handling to meet the needs of physically impaired children.
- Ability to undertake and develop physical intervention skills in order to safely manage challenging behaviour.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.