We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and energetic apprentice to join the busy team here at Registration Services within the City Council.
This role is an entry level position where you will start your development handling calls and enquires from customers who want to book a range of appointments (birth, death, and marriage legalities); ceremonies (weddings, naming, renewal of vows and citizenship) or order copy certificates.
This will enable you to develop your excellent customer care skills, tact and diplomacy, confidentiality and empathy at times of loss.
There will also be opportunity for you to get involved with website and booking system changes, leaflets and other customer facing publications. You will also support the smooth running of the rooms we use, building, finance and other systems and generally be a great asset to the team.
Customer skills, excellent accuracy (spelling and keying), neat handwriting, computer literacy and the ability to cope under pressure are a must.
We offer full training and wider development to the right candidate.
Please note this is a fixed term 15-month contract.
- To provide an efficient and customer focused service by processing and responding to incoming communications (post, phone, and emails), message taking, copying and distributing information as necessary.
- The post holder will be responsible for recording information accurately on Council systems.
- To communicate respectfully with service users and colleagues, establish a rapport and build honest and trusted relationships.
- Undertake a variety of tasks for the benefit of customers and the Registration Service such as booking appointments, dealing with copy certificate orders, supporting citizenship paperwork and events, updating paper and electronic systems and other back office tasks.
- To work towards and successfully complete the Business Administration Apprenticeship at Level 3 within 15 months from the start date.
The Ideal Candidate
- Willing to learn and interest in supporting a statutory service.
- GCSE Grade A-C in English and Maths or equivalent e.g., Functional Skills Level 2 in English and Maths or demonstrable ability to achieve during apprenticeship (a basic skills assessment will be undertaken as part of recruitment process).
- Strong customer service skills.
- Good written and communication skills.
- Good organisational skills.
- IT literate and ability to use Word, Excel and Outlook to a proficient standard.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Flexible and willing to support others as needed.
- Excellent accuracy (spelling and keying) and neat handwriting.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.