We are one of the fastest growing cities in the UK, home to over 14,000 businesses and over 265,000 residents, and our Planning Service holds a crucial role in ensuring that this growth is sustainable and maintains its unique and attractive character for future generations to enjoy. Having recently adopted a new Local Plan, several strategically important and exciting projects are now starting to come forward within the city centre and at our large-scale urban extension sites.
As well as planning for the future of this great city we are planning to move our Service towards greater use of digital tools and platforms, transforming the way we undertake our work and deliver services to our customers.
Our ambitions require a Project Management Support Officer to provide additional support to deliver priority projects for the Planning and Placemaking service areas.
- Responsible for keeping the project tracking documents up to date, keeping a record of any deviation to initial project costs. Review financial monitoring reports and report progress against budget, timescales and project/programme objectives to the Planning Projects Manager.
- To design, set up and implement systems that will enable the Programme Boards to monitor and control the delivery of their projects to time, budget and quality. To undertake work as directed in support of projects, including administration, co-ordination, document control and management, and liaison with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure the timely preparation and servicing of programme boards, including working with project leads to provide good quality reports.
- Assist with the development and management of any other governance structure arrangements and provide administrative support for stakeholder meetings to support the delivery and implementation of the programme plan, or other key projects.
- Ensure those responsible for risks adhere to the process requirements and report to the Planning Projects Manager as required. Ensure risk registers/logs are maintained, reviewed and updated in line with MK corporate risk management policy and procedures.
- To undertake research and benchmarking as appropriate, along with recording processes and present data to the team and key stakeholders in order to contribute to securing the success and stability of projects. Research current policies, strategies, technologies and legislation that may impact on the programme and communicate any key points to the programme team.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have knowledge and practical experience of project management techniques and approaches, such as Prince 2 foundation and the MK Approach. They will also have excellent IT skills, with demonstrable high level of competence in data analysis and presentation, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, MS Project and ability to quickly and confidently learn and utilise a variety of different IT systems. They will be solutions focused and have excellent verbal and written communication with expertise in taking complex minutes, report writing and data analysis and presentation.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.