This is an exciting time to work for Milton Keynes Council. Milton Keynes is a growing city which brings the need for new facilities to serve the new communities and the opportunity to enhance the existing ones too. This new and exciting role is within the team that delivers a majority of the Council’s capital projects - from new schools, health centres and community buildings to expansion, enhancement and redevelopment of our existing building stock. You will be joining a small, well-formed team who are passionate about what they do and the impact this has on the citizens of Milton Keynes. The successful candidate will manage a wide-ranging portfolio of projects of various sizes and will be responsible for the successful delivery of these from inception to completion. No two projects are the same and this brings differing stakeholders, expectations, timeframes and political involvement, all of which require managing in the appropriate way. Behind every successful project is a well-managed team of people who are fully invested in the project and its end goal. It will be your responsibility to appoint, coordinate and manage this team, bringing everyone with you on the project journey. If you believe that you have the experience and skills we are looking for and would relish the challenge of working in a fast-paced team, then we would love to hear from you.
- Accountable for managing a range of complex capital projects and programmes as identified within the Council’s capital programme and Council priorities, ranging in value up to £10m. Accountable for ensuring allocated budgets support Milton Keynes Council’s strategies, achieving best value for money.
- To lead on ensuring project approval processes are completed satisfactorily for all projects in an assigned portfolio. This includes the accurate and detailed completion of all applicable documentation, for presentation and review at a range of meetings, ensuring compliance with the authority's financial and democratic approval processes
- Responsible for ensuring project outcomes are aligned with Milton Keynes Council’s corporate strategic priorities and are delivered in line with the Council’s capital processes and the Council’s approach to project management. As part of the Built Assets Team to be responsible for playing a lead role in developing and delivering agreed team policies and achieving team targets, contributing to the achievement of the strategic goals set out in the Corporate Property Strategy and Service Plan.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to NVQ level 4 or equivalent or demonstrable evidence of working within a role requiring this level of knowledge. PRINCE2 qualification, minimum Foundation Level or equivalent.
- Extensive demonstrable experience and knowledge of directing and leading major projects including individual new build construction or extension projects with a value in excess of £1.5M
- Excellent organisation skills, with attention to detail the ability to prioritise workload and manage competing demands and deadlines.
- Always ensures a professional standard of delivery. Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and effectively manage relationships with the project team and wide range of external partners
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, multi cultural, adrenaline packed expanding city with so much to offer on its door step. From beautiful open spaces, a busy theatre district, large shopping centre to a number of cultural and leisure facilities.
Milton Keynes Council has an array of responsibilities, such as: education, housing, highways and social services. Altogether, the council provides over 240 services to the citizens of Milton Keynes, and to meet such an extensive and diverse range of challenges we must be innovative and dynamic to provide services successfully to meet the increasing demands that will accompany the growth of Milton Keynes. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with us. If you want to make a difference and experience a fulfilling job measured on outcomes and results with great work-life balance, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.