The City of Milton Keynes is one of the fastest growing places in the UK and by 2050 will be home to over 400,000 people.
‘Better by Design’, Milton Keynes is always looking to the future and delivering the next big project to make a great city greater. This new role is an exciting opportunity to be part of shaping the city’s future.
We have secured £22.7m from the Government’s Town Fund to invest in Bletchley and Fenny Stratford. Work is now underway to deliver a Town Deal programme of nine projects which cover regeneration and land use, connectivity and skills, and enterprise.
With the nine projects now entering the delivery phase, we are looking for a Programme Manager to oversee the day-to-day management of the Bletchley Town Deal programme, coordinating key projects across Milton Keynes City Council and the Town Deal delivery partners.
This role will also be responsible for developing a pipeline of projects to make our city the best place to live and work. Current ambitious projects include the proposal for a new STEM university (MK:U) and a new events venue in the city centre.
We are building on the City Council’s recent success of securing funding for key projects, including a successful Housing Infrastructure Fund bid of £95m for infrastructure to enable a development of 5,000 homes, and the Bletchley Town Deal.
This new role will help us in strengthening our pipeline of projects, developing business cases and bids to secure funding and deliver key corporate priority projects. This role will include managing consultants to provide expert assistance on business cases.
- Programme Management of the nine Bletchley and Fenny Stratford town deal projects
- Development of government funding bids and business cases for key corporate projects
- Management of consultants providing expert input into business cases
The Ideal Candidate
- You will need extensive experience of project and programme management. You will be responsible for managing the progress of the overall Town Deal, with demonstratable experience of working with project managers to ensure costs, risks and timescales and managed and monitored.
- You will have demonstrable experience and understanding of developing successful funding bids to government and business cases for investment in projects, with a good understanding of government appraisal processes.
- You will have a good understanding of public sector funding and good financial acumen
- You will be passionate about developing new projects and helping to shape the future of the city of Milton Keynes
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.