We’re seeking someone with significant experience and understanding of working with and managing risk around young people who are at risk of contextual safeguarding concerns and know the impact contextual harm can have.
You’ll use your expertise to provide support, advice, guidance and oversight for young people who are at risk of exploitation, knife crime and serious youth violence. You’ll be able to work in a multi-agency way, providing support to colleagues in Children Social Care, Youth Justice and Support Service, and other agencies in Milton Keynes.
This is a varied role where no two days are the same, you might be providing consults, auditing key cases and data, supervising colleagues, chairing meetings, developing relationships with other agencies as well as completed direct work with young people at risk of contextual harm.
Milton Keynes City Council is a great place to be a social worker as we don’t rely on agencies which means colleagues have more time to dedicate to individual clients and more opportunities for career development.
Travel may be required so a full UK driving licence is essential along with an enhanced DBS check.
Milton Keynes City Council is a modern and friendly place to work. We offer an excellent benefits package including an enhanced pension, generous holiday allowance starting at 28 days as well as a great range of training and development opportunities to help you in your career.
We encourage and warmly welcome applications from social workers and qualified professionals in all disciplines such as Adult Social Care, Police Services, Youth Offending Officers and Mental Health Services.
Interviews will take place on 20 and 21 December.
- Acting as a consultant for internal and external agencies for children and young people who are at risk of contextual safeguarding concerns.
- Provide specialist training for internal and external agencies in relation to Contextual Safeguarding.
- Lead on missing children in Milton Keynes and ensure that statutory and Milton Keynes policy is being adhered to.
- Supervise staff in line with the team and Local Authorities guidance.
- Support the development of the Contextual Safeguarding Service and work close the Contextual Safeguarding Team Manager to develop the service plan and strategy.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant knowledge around contextual safeguarding and how children and young people need to be safeguarded.
- A Professional Qualification in Social Work, Policing, Youth / Criminal Justice and extensive post qualification experience.
- Experience of working with Children Social Care and/ or the Youth Justice Support Service to reduce contextual safeguarding concerns.
- Willing to work as part of a team in sharing knowledge and supporting team development.
- You’ll have a driving license, business insurance and can travel in and outside of Milton Keynes which may sometimes include working outside of office hours.
- Confident in making decisions and managing risk.
- Enhanced DBS, driving license and a car user with business insurance.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.