The Corporate Procurement Team undertake procurement activity across a vast number of service areas ranging from Waste to Highways to Leisure to IT and many others. Our activity ranges from projects valued at £25,000 and upwards. We are a service that genuinely adds value and we take an active lead on all decisions across the Council, supporting a number of directors, partners and projects, in order to ensure we are giving the best value to our residents and businesses.
We are looking for enthusiastic, inquisitive, and passionate person to take on the Procurement Officer Role who will challenge services and processes to ensure good governance and value for money and you will be part of a dynamic, passionate team who are integral to the wider council services.
- Accountable for a portfolio of procurement projects from £25,000 up to FTS Threshold and above (when required) to enable the delivery of service outcomes and value for money.
- Manage procurement projects to ensure that best practise is used to maximise opportunities for efficiencies and service improvement.
- To advise and train officers in the drafting of quotation and tender documents including approaches to evaluation and the relevant approval reports.
The Ideal Candidate
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply. Level 4 Diploma in Procurement & Supply as a minimum.
- Proven knowledge of public sector/local government procurement processes and regulations.
- Demonstrable experience in Procurement activity preferably public sector.
- Demonstrable experience of manipulation of financial and other data within an excel environment to evaluate tenders and performance.
- Ability to think and act strategically within a corporate structure.
- Effective communicator both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to working as part of a team to deliver strategic objectives.
- Able to take responsibility for delivering own work and meeting agreed work objectives, working to local frameworks and guidelines.
- Self- motivating with energy, drive and resilience under pressure.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 19.7%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.