Our expanding Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) team is looking for someone with great collaboration and communication skills, plus an interest in the environment to join them as a Principal Flood and Water Management Officer.
This is an exciting time to join the team as we shape the City Council’s approach to its duties under the Flood and Water Management Act.
You’ll lead the flood and enforcement arm of the LLFA, manage the delivery of operational improvements to the water environment, including developing future projects that will directly benefit the residents of Milton Keynes. You may also be required to support on other key responsibilities as the LLFA, such as formal flood investigations.
This role will initially manage one officer with the potential to expand in the future. You’ll primarily be based at Synergy Park but travel will be required.
We offer an excellent training and induction package to support you.
- To develop and lead the Council’s approach to flood investigation and enforcement including maintaining effective processes for reporting, recording and investigation.
- As per Section 23(1) of the Land Drainage Act 1991, enforce remedial works on unapproved construction work within ordinary watercourses or those not undertaking their landowner (riparian) responsibilities.
- Co-ordinate and manage workstreams including statutory flood investigations (under Section 19 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010) and the development/delivery of flood and water projects.
- To provide technical advice to the team, other council officers and external stakeholders on matters relating to flood risk management in Milton Keynes.
- Ensure excellent cross-council and partnership working across all workstreams. Key stakeholders include the Environment Agency, Internal Drainage Board, Parks Trust, other Lead Local Flood Authorities, Anglian Water and residents of Milton Keynes.
- Oversee the establishment and maintenance of a register for all significant flood risk assets in Milton Keynes
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of investigations and enforcement in the flood risk and/or planning sectors.
- Ability to prioritise your own, and others, health safety and wellbeing.
- Experience of collecting and collating evidence that will withstand legal scrutiny and challenge.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and pay close attention to detail.
- Comfortable working across internal and external teams.
- Comfortable making site visits.
- You must have advanced influencing and persuasion skills and be confident to lead difficult conversations.
- Have a good appreciation of flood risk management assets and their benefits.
- You may have experience using geographic information systems (QGIS or similar) for capturing, storing, and managing data.
- An understanding of flood risk management and the planning system.
- Flexible to work in different locations with Synergy Park being the main base.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.