We have a brilliant opportunity for a Planning & Highways Lawyer to join as a key member of our friendly team. The team deals with a variety of areas, including but not limited to, planning, enforcement, highways, rights of way, planning policy and relevant local government law.
Milton Keynes has recently been awarded City status, making it such an exciting time to join the team and take your career to the next level at this unitary authority.
- To manage a mixed caseload of matters ensuring that all work is both of a high quality and delivered in a timely manner.
- You will establish and maintain effective client relationships, ensuring that the Council is best placed to achieve its objectives.
- Provide legal advice clearly and succinctly and be able to communicate at all levels.
- To ensure that you have the skills and competencies required to advise on all relevant matters and to continue to develop those skills.
- To assist in supervising the casework of Trainees and paralegals as arranged with the Principal Lawyer.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister (Supreme Court of England and Wales/English Bar) or Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives or equivalent relevant qualification with relevant experience.
- Experience of relevant legislation, including the flexibility to research new areas of law that become relevant to the caseload.
- Demonstrable ability to draft all necessary legal, transactional and other formal documentation.
- Taking responsibility for delivering own work and meeting agreed work objectives.
- A team player who is able to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure, effectively manage their caseload and take initiative.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.