The Milton Keynes Virtual School promotes and champions the education of Looked After Children, Previously Looked After Children and Children with a Social Worker. We work within a statutory framework and have an established a set of clear policies, protocols and procedures to guide our work and enable us to act as advocates for children in care. This involves direct work with professionals supporting the child, supporting the completion of Personal Education Plans (PEPs) and the deploying of resources to support educational achievement.
The Milton Keynes Virtual School team is a small, focussed and dedicated team of professionals who provide support, guidance and challenge to professionals within Milton Keynes Council as well as foster carers, families and educational settings, this work is not confined to Milton Keynes as we work wherever our Looked After Children are placed. The successful candidate for this role would contribute to the developing, maintaining and increasing the high standards of education for our Looked After Children and Previously Looked After Children as well as the evolution of the work of the Virtual School as we extend our advice and guidance role, supporting Children with a Social Worker.
Applicants to this post will be required to complete the appropriate level of Disclosure and Barring Service check.
- Manage a caseload of Looked After Children, liaising with and advising individual Designated Teachers and Social Workers, ensuring PEP meetings are organised and PEPs are completed to a high standard; attending PEP meetings as required.
- To work in an advisory role to secure timely school admissions and/or educational provision for all Looked After Children on the allocated caseload.
- To ensure that all professionals work collaboratively so that educational barriers are identified and support is put into place to overcome them for Looked After Children on the allocated caseload.
- Effectively use data for monitoring and evaluation purposes for Looked After Children, Previously Looked After Children and Children with a Social Worker.
- To monitor and maintain an overview of quality of all PEPs on the allocated caseload and where quality is less than satisfactory, take corrective action.
- To contribute to the Virtual School training programme delivered to all stakeholders working with Looked After Children, Previously Looked After Children and Children with a Social Worker.
The Ideal Candidate
- Someone who has experience of working with vulnerable children and young people with an understanding of the complex issues facing children in care and care leavers and how these impact on their learning needs and academic attainment.
- Someone who has experience of teaching and learning, ideally with an understanding of children and young people with special educational needs.
- Someone who enjoys managing their own caseload, setting their own priorities and working to tight deadlines.
- Someone with great communication skills as they will need to work both as a part of a team and individually to build positive relationships with children, carers, social workers and education settings.
- Travelling to educational settings is an integral part of this role and therefore the ideal candidate would hold a driving license.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Holiday Purchase Scheme
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, Apprenticeship Programmes (junior and senior), coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Health Cashplan
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles)
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs)
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Childcare Subsidy
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.