The city of Milton Keynes has a younger age profile than England's average. Our ambition is to ensure the children of Milton Keynes can live safely but are also encouraged and supported to achieve their goals. As a Social Worker in the Family Support Team, you have an opportunity to make this happen.
Family Support Teams play a key role in supporting children, young people and their families to safely remain together. Our approach which we refer to as the Golden Triangle is to do all we can to make this happen. We complete thorough assessments to identify the root cause of challenges which children and their families may face. From this, we put in place protective plans to address areas of risk and need.
As a Social Worker, you will have access to a wide range of resources to enable you to put robust plans in place. The goal is to enable families to learn and adapt their parenting to meet their children’s needs. When this isn’t possible, together with other colleagues and professionals you will pursue alternative permanency plans, ensuring this happens without delay.
We are in search of experienced Social Workers who are innovative and resilient, who can bring new skills and experience to the role. In Milton Keynes, a proudly diverse city, you will be in a fortunate position to make a difference in a city where 50% of our residents are under 35.
In return, we offer a £4000 market supplement (pro rata), a smart phone and laptop, flexible working and training and development opportunities. We encourage and warmly welcome Social Workers from all disciplines such as Adult Social Care and CAFCASS, wanting to make the transition to join our Family Support Teams.
Flexible working arrangements, a smart phone, laptop, clinical supervision, training and development opportunities and a market supplement are a few of the benefits when you work with us.
If you would like to learn more about this role, please contact: SWrecruitment@milton-keynes.gov.uk
This role is eligible for you to be referred by an MKCC employee, as part of the Children’s Services Social Worker Referral Scheme. The successful candidate, and the referrer, will, subject to all conditions of the scheme being met, receive £1000. The reward is split into two £500 payments, the first received on appointment, and the second after the first-year anniversary of being in post. You must indicate in your application, the name of the person referring you, for this to apply. It can not be applied retrospectively.
The allocated Social Worker to a maximum of 19 children and young people (pro rata if you are part time) who are subject to Child In Need, Child Protection and/or Child Looked After plans as defined in the Children Act 1989.
To complete a range of assessments which will inform care plans, including Children and Families Assessments, Risk Assessments, Parenting Assessments and Sibling Assessments.
Represent the Local Authority in public and private law proceedings which will involve giving oral evidence court, writing court statements, care plans and complying with the directions as set out in court orders.
Chair Child In Need and Core Group Meetings as part of a multi-disciplinary team which will inform assessments and care plans for children and young people.
Work closely with colleagues to fulfil duty responsibilities as advised by the Team Manager during office hours.
The Ideal Candidate
A qualified Social Worker with at least two years post qualifying experience relevant to this role or have transferrable skills.
Committed to supporting children, young people and their families and has the resilience to go that extra mile to ensure they achieve their potential.
Someone who thinks outside the box, is able to challenge and make evidenced based decisions.
Someone who has a driving license, business insurance and can travel in and outside of Milton Keynes which may sometimes include working outside of office hours.
Someone who is willing to work collaboratively as part of a team in sharing knowledge and supporting team development.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.