The Family Support Teams at MKC play a pivotal role in supporting children, young people and their families to achieve positive outcomes using Signs of Safety and have a strong family support ethos in which we strive to keep children in their family network.
There are currently nine Family Support Teams within Children’s Social Care, and we are looking for Social Workers to join our expanding department. As a Social worker in the team, you will work with families that need support to promote positive outcomes. Your case load will include child in need and child protection. You will have the opportunities to develop your continued practice through case work, training and shared practice learning within the team.
In return, we offer a £4000 market supplement (pro rata), a smart phone and laptop, flexible working and training and development opportunities. We encourage and warmly welcome Social Workers from all disciplines such as Adult Social Care and CAFCASS, wanting to make the transition to join our Family Support Teams.
Please note, you must have a Social Work degree and DBS checks will be required for the successful candidate. Children’s Social Care are based in Civic Offices in Central Milton Keynes and staff have the flexibility to work from home a couple days per week subject to their managers approval. Support with career progression and access to clinical supervision are provided to all employees.
If you would like to learn more about this role, please contact: SWrecruitment@milton-keynes.gov.uk
Being the allocated Social Worker to a maximum of 19 children and young people who are subject to Child In Need, Child Protection and/or Child Looked After plans as defined in the Children Act 1989.
To complete a range of assessments which will inform care plans, including Children and Families Assessments, Risk Assessments, Parenting Assessments and Sibling Assessments.
Represent the Local Authority in public and private law proceedings which will involve giving oral evidence court, writing court statements, care plans and complying with the directions as set out in court orders.
Chair Child In Need and Core Group Meetings as part of a multi-disciplinary team which will inform assessments and care plans for children and young people.
Work closely with colleagues to fulfil duty responsibilities as advised by the Team Manager during office hours.
The Ideal Candidate
A qualified Social Worker with at least 12 months post qualifying experience.
Someone committed to supporting children, young people and their families and has the resilience to go that extra mile to ensure they achieve their potential.
Someone who is willing to work as part of a team in sharing knowledge and supporting team development.
An enthusiastic Social Worker.
Someone who thinks outside the box, is able to challenge and make evidenced based decisions.
Someone who has a driving license, business insurance and can travel in and outside of Milton Keynes which may sometimes include working outside of office hours.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, excellent pension scheme widely regarded as one of the best available.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.