We’re the largest social housing landlord in Milton Keynes with more than 12,000 properties. We have a wide range of different types of homes, neighbourhoods and estates ranging from the brutalist architecture of the 1960s through to terraces built in the age of the Victorians.
Our tenants are as diverse as our property portfolio, coming from all walks of life with different needs, opinions and requirements that we take care to listen to and respect.
A new addition to our portfolio is ‘Pencarrow Mews’, which is an innovative modular housing development of 70 units in the Fishermead area of Milton Keynes. It will be used for people that need housing the most at the point they have no other place to call home.
Pencarrow Mews will only be as successful as those that live within it. As well as managing the units, you’ll ensure that the tenants are able to thrive by being given full and robust tenancy and licence support and management, from the day they move in to when they move out. During your working hours, you’ll be based on site in Fishermead.
- To be the dedicated Housing Officer for the site management of Pencarrow Mews modular housing, including, but not limited to site office/communal spaces, laundry, storage and parking.
- Proactively managing varied workloads, including addressing complex and difficult licence and social issues with residents, signposting and making referrals as appropriate.
- You will be responsible for all tenancy management functions of Pencarrow Mews, including, but not limited to, estate/site inspections and sign-ups of new tenants, general site management ensuring the health and safety of all residents is monitored and managed effectively.
- You will work with residents to prevent evictions, identifying issues and working with residents, colleagues and partner agencies to reduce the risk of licence and tenancy failure. This will include understanding and working empathically with people through difficult and complex situations.
- You will effectively deal with all forms of nuisance and anti-social behaviour within Pencarrow Mews, working together with anti-social behaviour colleagues where necessary.
- Actively assessing risk and working with colleagues within adult services and safeguarding, using a multi-agency approach, to develop action plans to manage any identified risks.
The Ideal Candidate
- Chartered Institute of Housing Professional Qualification Level 3 or equivalent demonstrable experience of complex and challenging tenancy/resident management.
- Demonstrating an empathic and robust approach to managing residents demands from a wide spectrum of people, with ability to adapt communication style to suit different situations.
- Able to demonstrate sound knowledge of secure tenancy management relating to Housing Act of 1985 and relevant knowledge of the Housing Act 1988, Housing Act 1996 and the Localism Act of 2011.
- Demonstrable experience of evaluating and managing risks as they develop in real time, employing professional curiosity and making complex decisions while working independently.
- Able to understand the political, social, and economic drivers and their impact on residents’ lives, demonstrating the use of this knowledge to mentor residents and communities in positive behaviours.
- A valid UK driver’s licence and access to own vehicle.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 27 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years. (From April 2023 this will increase to 28, and 32 days after 5 years)
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.